land surveying

Harmsen’s land surveying team is professional and thorough and always adheres to applicable regulations. Harmsen also guarantees the accuracy and reliability of the work that we do. So, should there ever be a dispute about a survey we’ve done, we will be available to stand behind our work.

harmsen, llc

Completed over 20,000
Survey projects

When we say we know Western Washington like the back of our hands, we aren't kidding!

Harmsen, LLC has completed over 20,000 survey projects in the Puget Sound region since 1974.

Learn more about the Survey Process.

harmsen, llc

Surveying Services Include:

  • ALTA Surveys
  • Hydrographic Surveys
  • Land Surveying & Platting
  • Boundary & Route Surveying
  • Primary Horizontal & Vertical Control Surveys
  • Support for Aerial Surveys
  • Road Surveying & Alignment Surveys
  • Property Surveys
  • Construction Administration
  • Quantity Surveys
  • Construction Monitoring
  • Construction Staking
  • Elevation Certificates
  • Expert Witness
  • Federal Trust Land Certificates
  • FEMA Determination
  • Flood Mapping
  • GIS & Topographic Mapping
  • Global Positioning System (GPS)
  • Letter of Map Amendments
  • Mapping/CAD Services
  • Real Time Kinematic (RTK)
  • Right-of-Way Determination
  • Utility Mapping
  • Subdivision
Surveying for Property Owners

How much will my survey cost?

Most often, this is the first question residential property owners ask us.  The answer varies because it depends upon the type of survey to be done, and the research required, which can involve several factors:

Are survey monuments available?

These are special markers that can be used as a starting reference point. If not, other points of reference will have to be researched.

Is it a plat?  If so, how long ago was it established?

If it is a plat, or development, there will be records about the property lines. But if it was established many years ago, the records may not be reliable.

What surveys have been recorded for the area?

If there are other recorded surveys for the area, property boundaries may be easier to establish.

Will the survey need to be recorded with the County?

Many people don’t realize that most surveys, by Washington State law (RCW 58.09), have to be recorded with the County.  This can add to the expense.

The Survey Process

A typical property survey, whether it’s one boundary line, or an entire property, involves the following steps:

  • Records research
  • Survey field work
  • Creation of survey maps by a drafting technician
  • Map review and stamping by a Harmsen, LLC WA State licensed Professional Land Surveyor
  • Recording with the County, if necessary

Consider the possibilities

There are a number of reasons why you'll want to consider consulting a Professional Land Surveyor...

Boundary Line Adjustment / B.L.A.

Do you and your neighbor need to adjust property lines? A Boundary Line Adjustment is what you need.

Boundary Line Agreement

Do and your neighbor have an existing fence that doesn't match your legal descriptions? Or, do you and your neighbor both have a claim to the fence? A Boundary Line Agreement can ensure a fairly simple resolution to future boundary issues.


Are you planning on building? A house, garage, commercial building, and almost all construction projects require a topographic site plan. Planning is made easy with an accurate site plan.


Easements can be created and granted for many reasons: utilities, access, landscaping, and view protection, among others.  Always consult a land surveyor or land use attorney or both.

Environmental Issues

A topographic survey can show steep slope areas, identify wetlands, and locate significant trees, among many other environmental features.

Flood Elevation

The potential for flooding can be a concern for many properties in Western Washington. Establishing that your property is NOT threatened by a future flood event can give you significant savings on your property insurance.  Thus, a professional flood elevation certificate can pay for itself many times over.

Short Plat

Do you own property that has acreage or has a large yard? Have your neighbors subdivided or is there a development being built in your neighborhood? Your property may have the potential for a short plat, which would allow you to sell it.